Early Years Foundation Stage
Daily Phonics Lesson- focus on:
- Tuning into sounds, talking about sounds and making sounds
- Rhythm and Rhyme
- Sounds in the environment
- Sounds we can make with our voices and bodies
- Music session and exploring sounds made with percussion instruments
- Oral blending and segmenting
- Initial sounds in names
Continuous provision provides opportunities to practise and consolidate the above
Letters are taught using the Read, Write Inc. sequence and formation when the children are secure in the above.
Daily Phonics lesson focus on:
- Hearing, saying and identifying new phonemes (graphemes)
- Reviewing previously taught graphemes
- Blending letters in words with the new grapheme
- Segmenting words and writing them (Fred fingers)
- Learning to spell and write irregular common words
- Weekly homework on new graphemes (play club bags/practical activities, writing practice)
- Children are assessed and regrouped when appropriate
- Letters are taught in the order from Read, Write Inc. Set 1, set 2 and set 3, dependent on the children's stage of development.
Continuous provision provides opportunities to read and write taught graphemes for a purpose.
ELG Writing: Children use their phonic knowledge to write words in ways which match their spoken sounds. They also write some irregular common words. They write simple sentences which can be read by themselves and others. Some words are spelt correctly and others are phonetically plausible.